North Coventry Planning Commission
Jim White, Chairman
The Planning Commission holds their regular meeting at 7 p.m on the 3rd Wednesday of each month and a workshop meeting at 7 p.m. on the 1st Wednesday of each month. Please check township calendar for changes.
The MPC and the Planning Commission
The Municipal Planning Code (MPC) through Section 201 gives the governing body of any municipality the power to create or abolish, by ordinance, a planning commission or planning department, or both. The ordinance specifies the powers and duties conferred on planning agencies by this act.
Membership. All of the members of the planning commission shall be residents of the municipality. The Township Planning Commission has seven members. Residents interested in joining the commission when an opening is available can apply here.
Section 209.1 of the MPC states the Powers and Duties of a Planning Agency as such;
- (a) The planning agency shall at the request of the governing body have the power and shall be required to:
- Prepare the comprehensive plan for the development of the municipality as set forth in this act, and present it for the consideration of the governing body.
- Maintain and keep on file records of its action. All records and files of the planning agency shall be in the possession of the governing body.
- (b) The planning agency at the request of the governing body may:
- Make recommendations to the governing body concerning the adoption or amendment of an official map.
- Prepare and present to the governing body of the municipality a zoning ordinance, and make recommendations to the governing body on proposed amendments to it as set forth in this act.
- Prepare, recommend and administer subdivision and land development and planned residential development regulations, as set forth in this act.
- Prepare and present to the governing body of the municipality a building code and a housing code and make recommendations concerning proposed amendments thereto.
- Do such other acts or make such studies as may be necessary to fulfill the duties and obligations imposed by this act.
- Prepare and present to the governing body of the municipality an environmental study.
- Submit to the governing body of a municipality a recommended capital improvements program.
- Prepare and present to the governing body of the municipality a water survey, which shall consistent with the State Water Plan and any applicable water resources plan adopted by a river basin commission. The water survey shall be conducted in consultation with any public water supplier in the area to be surveyed.
- Promote public interest in, and understanding of, the comprehensive plan and planning.
- Make recommendations to governmental, civic and private agencies and individuals as to the effectiveness of the proposals of such agencies and individuals.
- Hold public hearings and meetings.
- Present testimony before any board.
- Require from other departments and agencies of the municipality such available information as relates to the work of the planning agency.
- In the performance of its functions, enter upon any land to make examinations and surveys with the consent of the owner.
- Prepare and present to the governing body of the municipality a study regarding the feasibility and practicability of using renewable energy sources in specific areas within the municipality.
- Review the zoning ordinance, subdivision and land development ordinance, official map, provi- sions for planned residential development, and such other ordinances and regulations governing the development of land no less frequently than it reviews the comprehensive plan.