845 S Hanover St
Pottstown, Pa 19465

Building & Codes & Zoning Department

The Building and Code Department is established to protect the health, safety, welfare, and resources of the Township to improve the quality of life for all residents in accordance with Township Ordinances.

The purpose of the building code is to provide minimum requirements to safeguard public safety, health, and general welfare. The Department issues permits for a variety of construction activities for every building and structure in the Township.

Have a question? 


Michael R. Schwenk, Building Code Official & Zoning Officer

View Township Codes
Forms $ Fees

Building Permits

When do you need a building permit?

Any property owner who intends to construct, enlarge, alter, repair, move, demolish, or change the occupancy of a building or structure, or to erect, install, enlarge, alter, repair, remove, convert, or replace any electrical, gas, mechanical, or plumbing system, must first apply to the Township for required permits.

Below are general guidelines.  Contact the Township’s Building/Code Enforcement Department to determine whether or not your project needs a permit.

Building Permit

  • Additions
  • Commercial Repairs
  • Decks
  • Demolition
  • Door and Windows (new) installed in load bearing wall
  • Garages
  • New Home or Building
  • Patios
  • Pools Inground or where water depth is greater than 24″ deep
  • Roofs (new)
  • Sheds – 500 sq. ft. and over

Zoning Permit

  • Additions
  • Decks
  • Demolition
  • Fences
  • Garages
  • New Homes
  • Patios
  • Pools Above Ground
  • Sheds over 120 sq. ft. and under 500 sq. ft.
  • Signs

No Permit Required:

  • Low voltage alarm systems
  • Retaining wall not over 4′ high
  • Roof replacement (Residential)
  • Shed under 120 sq. ft. *Please notify Codes Officer of install **Set backs must be adhered to
  • Siding Replacement


Driveways require a permit for new install, resurface or extend.  A permit is not required for seal coating.

Grading Permits

Stormwater Management

When Do I Need a Grading Permit?

Owner/applicants shall obtain a grading permit for any earth disturbance activity, grading, excavation, swimming pool construction, building construction, or as set forth in Chapter 194 of the Stormwater Management Ordinance of North Coventry Township.

A Grading Permit is required if your project involves any of the following:

Projects involving paving, filling, stripping, or changing the existing grade of land

Projects that disturb, modify, block, divert, or affect the natural overland or subsurface flow of stormwater within the Township

Projects that block, divert, erect, or install any dam, ditch, culvert, drainpipe, bridge, or other obstruction affecting the drainage of your property

See Table 106.1 of the Township Ordinance to determine Thresholds for Regulated Activities that are Exempt and Not Exempt from Requiring a Grading Permit

Operation & Maintenance Requirements of Stormwater Management Facilities and Best Management Practices (BMPs)

An Operation and Maintenance (O&M) Agreement shall be required for any Stormwater Management Facility, Best Management Practice (BMP), or Conveyances installed and owned by the Property Owner. The O&M Agreement sets the rights, duties, and obligations of the owner of the BMP or Conveyance and shall be consistent with the approved Stormwater Management Plan, including general maintenance. A BMP facility requiring maintenance includes but is not limited to swales, retention and detention basins, rain gardens, drainpipes, and inlet/outlet structures.

Property owners are responsible for the operation and maintenance of their BMP or Conveyance and shall make records of all inspections, maintenance, and repairs. Contact the Township office for a sample Stormwater Management Maintenance Checklist.